February 4, 2015
10 things we've learned from men's fashion month
Have you been keeping up on the latest men’s fashion shows? In case you missed them, here’s a rundown of what we’ve learned and what you should be investing in for next Autumn Winter 2015.
1) Top brands including Bottega Veneta, Lanvin and Gucci have been showcasing progressively baggie trousers - and I’m not talking trackie bottoms. This trend can only be easily adapted if you opt for a more tailored fit, but be warned, try not to look swathed in fabric, these trousers look best worn with a close fitting tailored jacket, take a look at Georgio Armini’s collection for inspiration.
2) As you may have seen me banging on in previous blog posts, the 70s are back and bigger than ever. This may be leaving some of you quaking in your worn-out platforms but, take inspiration from Coach, Burberry, Lanvin and Fendi, for a more contemporary twist. I’m sure you’ll find something that stirs the senses to help you relive the decade in retrospect.
3) Texture, texture, texture, I’m talking shearling coats, pulled wool and shaved alpaca, look to Christopher Bailey, Burberry Prorsum and Oliver Spencer for inspiration.
4) If you take anything away from this list I must insist you invest in a shearling coat. These are going to be massive, but if you’re after a more authentic look, then swing by a vintage shop and rummage away.
5) Fur-real men! Paul Smith, Dries Van Noten, Burberry, Fendi, Versace, plus many other big names, have been showcasing fur on their guys and making it more masculine and wearable than ever, take a look at the collections and see for yourself.
6) Layers, even though there were many bomber jackets with long tops underneath, the look that really stole the show came from layered knits. Wear your (plain) roll neck under a pattered jumper or create block colours by complimenting the roll neck, it’s a great excuse to stay warm.
7) Pockets, the bigger the better. If you hate man-bags then this is the look for you! Huge pockets featured on jackets are one of the musts for next A/W. You’re going to be able to have your pick of flap pockets, zip pockets, button pockets, and pockets in contrasting colours and fabrics, all of which will be a great improvement on your new winter wardrobe.
8) Swatch watches, we’ve seen Swatch sponsor some of the hottest shows over the past few years, placing them right in the foreground of fashion and trend hunters. With many of their watches designed in seriously on-trend colours and quirky designs, you’re sure to stand out from the crowd and be an individual trend-setter. Take a look at our collection and see how you could be wearing the next best thing. If you like the look of the Grey Swatch pictured, then you're already a step ahead - check out number 10.
9) Squares are in! Well on fabric that is, but as far squares go, we saw them everywhere, in print, weaves, patches and knits, just take a look at Salvatore Ferragamo, Agi & Sam and Paul Smith for inspiration.
10) And finally, grey is the new black... That’s all.
Stay in the know about all of your favourite brands and current trends with the Timekeepers Blog. We offer the very best advice about fashion and watches so you can keep up with the current trends.